- Mosquitoes have been around since the Jurassic Period. They are commonly known as the silent assassins of the insect world.
- Only female mosquitoes feed on blood. They feed on blood because they need the protein in the blood to nurture the eggs.
- Female mosquitoes can lay up to 300 eggs at a time and can lay eggs every 3 days.
- Mosquitos can breed in waters as shallow as a twenty-cent coin.
- Generally, male mosquitoes are smaller than females of the same species and live shorter lives than the females.
Signs of infestation
Itchy red bumps on human skin
Mosquito larvae in stagnant water
Mosquitoes buzzing around your ears at night
A sudden increase in mosquito activity
- Conduct regular inspection of unturned pails, flower pots and drains etc.
- Eliminate stagnant water in rain gutters, old tires, buckets, plastic covers, toys, or any other container where mosquitoes can breed.
- Empty and change the water in bird baths, fountains, wading pools, rain barrels, and potted plant trays at least once a week to destroy potential mosquito habitats.
- Prevent mosquitoes from entering the homes / offices by sealing off potential points of entry to prevent mosquito from entering the premises.
Thermal Fogging a popular choice for mosquito control as it is visible to our eyes and its pungent smells lets us know a job is carried out. Thermal fogging uses an oil-based chemical mixed with diesel to produce the thick white smoke, this is very effective in killing large mosquito population in the immediate vicinity. As smoke is light it carries the chemical in a wide area rapidly knocking down any mosquitoes. However, this method do not last for long and once the smoke dissipates after a few minutes the mosquitoes may find its way back to your premise.
Very similar to Thermal Fogging, but instead of using diesel. Water and a fogging agent is used which has the advantage of not leaving any oily residual found on plants or surfaces. There are many flaws to this treatment as water heavier than smoke, hence the spread of this chemical is very limited and additionally it has no residual effect.
Water-based misting a superior treatment method developed to leave a residual effect to control mosquito population. Colourless, odourless and does not stain, it can done both indoors and outdoors giving it an advantage of doing treatment any time of the day when business is ongoing. Once the chemical dries it binds with the surface and remains effective for up to 2 weeks outdoors and 1 month indoor (depending on environmental conditions). Mosquitoes that lands on the treated surface picks up the chemical and dies off.
Fret not, if you need a chemical free option, simply contact us to understand more.
What Should You Do?
Seeking professional advice early is critical to avoiding a troublesome, time-consuming battle against mosquitoes. With the wide variety of mosquito control solutions available, from mosquito fogging to misting, it is important to get an expert opinion on the best option for your specific situation. Our NEA certified consultants are trained in the latest techniques for identification, management and prevention of mosquitoes.
- Identification of any potential breeding source
- Selection of the best type of treatment for your specific situation
- Professional application of the treatment to ensure the best chance of success
- Advise on long-term prevention measures